The main difference between a chimney for a stove or a furnace stove is the way that smoke enters it. A fireplace has an opening at the bottom for removing ash, and an edge about 6 feet (1.8 m) above the ground where the pipe enters the stove burning. These, and the hole in the top, are the only openings in the grate. This is one reason why a wood oven is more efficient than a stove: radiates heat in the room, rather than go down the chimney with the smoke.
Make vertical fireplace and a solid base
- Build the chimney above the basement floor. Consider cutting a square hole 4 feet (0.4 m) in the basement and put a concrete slab six inches (15 cm) thick. Fireplaces are very heavy. Having made an absolutely solid foundation for the fireplace began building it.
- Put lines clay flue inside the chimney block. This reduces heat transfer through the chimney and creosote accumulation inside. Place lines flue one above the other with a thin layer of mortar between them. Build the lining, just ahead of the chimney block, around a block length before installing the next. Fill the space between the liner and the blocks with rubble in order to stabilize it.
- Build each fireplace mantle six blocks. Alternate the joints between the blocks to keep the chimney intertwined. Check that is a vertical level frequently. Install a metal gate cleaning at the bottom of the chimney.
- After making the blocks, cut a hole for the stove pipe with a hammer and cold chisel to 6 feet (1.8 m) above the ground. Clay install a sleeve sized to fit the stove pipe, and filled between the sleeve and chipped blocks with mortar.
- The outer parts of the chimney must be lined with brick or stucco. Although often used outside, the concrete blocks are not meant to be exposed to the weather and deteriorate over time.
- If it is an internal chimney that goes through the roof, you have to put flashing around the chimney to prevent leakage. If the chimney is brick front, install the flashing so that it is between the mortar joints between the bricks and then under the shingles that are about him and tiles that are below.